The Cyprus Government announced an initial package of measures to support the economy and employers/employees in coping with the effects of COVID-19.
With regards to employment, these measures include:
- Special leave for parents working in the private sector to take care of children up to 15 years of age due to the closure of schools. The special leave may last up to four weeks (not including weekends and public holidays). A benefit will be paid which will be calculated as follows: for a parent with a salary up to €2.500 for the first €1.000 60% of the salary and for the remaining €1.000 40%. In cases of single parent families the benefit will be adjusted to 70% and 50% respectively.
- For those businesses that, as part of the measures decided by the Government had to suspend their operations and for those businesses that continue to operate however suffer a turnover reduction of more than 25%, a special Business Suspension Plan was announced. This is aimed at avoiding layoffs and at the same time allowing affected workers to receive unemployment allowance for as long as their employer company suspends operations.
- Businesses which employ less than five individuals can receive a 70% subsidy of the salary of each individual employee provided the employees remain in the employer’s service and the businesses suffer a reduction in turnover of more than 25%.
On the 19 March 2020, the Minister of Labour, Welfare and Social Insurance provided the following clarifications on the measures announced.
Support Program for Coping with the effects of COVID-19
Where can employers and employees access further advice?
Cyprus Government – https://www.pio.gov.cy/coronavirus/en/index.html
How can we help?
This is an emerging and rapidly evolving situation. We are continuing to closely monitor the information and recommendations provided by the WHO and the Government of Cyprus. As the situation evolves we will continue to provide up to date and practical advice to help our clients prepare and respond to the the COVID-19 pandemic.
Theodorou Law is a Cyprus law firm with Cyprus lawyers and other legal experts on legal matters involving Cyprus law, EU law and international law. The above should be used as a source of general information only. It is not intended to give a definitive statement of the law.
If you have a query or wish to receive further information, please contact us using [email protected]